Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Summer's Over, Keep The 'Sunscreen' On


Filed under Music Life


I have been meaning to write about this for some time now but somehow, never got to it until now. Well, as the end of this summer comes close to its end, I thought it would be a bit appropriate that I tell you about one of my most favorite songs ever...

Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann.


The first time I heard this song, I thought it was the coolest and wittiest songs I've ever heard. And the more I listened to it, the more I realized how much it makes sense.

You see, the song contains a speech-like rap enumerating some of the guy's words of wisdom particularly for the young. I have read somewhere that this was originally a newspaper article that Baz Luhrmann (director of Moulin Rouge & William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet) decided to turn into a song hiring an actor to read over the song Everybody's Free from the Romeo & Juliet soundtrack.

Much like my favorite book (All I Really Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten), the 'Sunscreen Song' managed to dispense advices on pretty much everything under the sun through a series of simple statements and witty remarks and not sounding preachy at all.

Here are just some of the stuff the song contends (some profound, some so mundane it's funny!):
  • Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth...
  • Do one thing everyday that scares you...
  • Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself...
  • Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults...
  • Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life…
  • Whatever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either– your choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s...
  • Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for good...
  • Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40,it will look 85....

And my two favorites...

  • Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts,don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours...
  • Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel UGLY...

I try to take these nuggets of wisdom to heart since I know I'll need them one way or the other, at one point or another...


Click image to listen/download and for the complete lyrics of this song... Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)







Add to Technorati Favorites!


Creative Commons License

1 comment:

San Francisco Guy said...

the track is only available on the romeo+juliet original motion picture soundtrack 10th anniversary edition. the reader's name is quindon tarver. he also does a wicked twist on a prince song, "when doves cry" from the same soundtrack.