Monday, February 27, 2006

Zizzling Zsazsa Zunday



Victoria! Winner! Tagumpay!



Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to have the chance to catch Tanghalang Pilipino's highly anticipated staging of Zsazsa Zaturnnah Ze Muzical. Due to its limited run and its small venue, tickets were almost instantly sold out but thanks to my friend Liza, I got one for myself.

For those not in the know. the musical is adapted from the Carlo Vergara's cult hit comic book Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah about a gay beautician (Ada) who was 'chosen' to assume the role of a superheroine (Zsazsa Zaturnnah) to save his town from a giant frog, zombies (the Mumus) and the alien Amazonistas led by Queen Femina Suarestellar Baroux. With the help of his loyal sidekick Didi and objet d'amour Dodong, he struggled to fight the enemies and at the same time search his place and purpose in this world.


After hearing superlatively positive feedback from friends who have already seen the musical, I set myself up with such high expectations from the production. And they delivered... and how!

From the amazing performances of the actors (Eula Valdes, Ricci Chan and Agot Isidro were the stand-outs) to the most ingenious way they have presented and choreographed scenes to make the comic book come to life, the production is a triumph in creativity and fabulous queerness.

Luckily, the production chose to be faithful to the text of the comic book just enhancing some key moments with powerful, inspiring and soul-infused songs by composer Vince de Jesus. It was 2 and a half hours of laugh-a-minute musical extravaganza! Okay, there were a couple of songs there that nearly brought me to tears. After all, what's a story about a 'queen' without a little drama?!

The play did touch on rather serious issues like gay empowerment, social acceptance and the love that dare not speak its name, but it was not at all preachy as they were presented in a refreshingly comical way.

Though a little strapped for cash, I could not help purchasing some merchandise items being sold at the theater lobby. I bought the programme, a pink Zsazsa shirt (my Wonder Woman shirt now has a 'sister') and the souvenir Cast Recording CD. That CD is now on a repeat mode in my CD player!

Honestly, I'm still reeling from the whole experience. I feel so much pride that a production like this came along and that people supported it and I, in my own little way, was a part of it. Kudos to stage director Chris Millado, adaptor Chris Martinez and the entire cast and crew of Zsazsa Zaturnnah Ze Muzical for a job fabulously done.


Incidentally, my Sunshine resented the fact that he was not able to join me and missed out on a great show. I promised him that should the production announce an extended run or a repeat, I will immediately get us tickets so he'd also experience the 'Zsazsa fever'.

For the meantime, he will have to make do with me singing to him my favorite song in the soundtrack...


Ikaw ang Superhero ng Buhay ko... Ikaw,
Hindi ka man lumilipad,
Tinangay mo sa langit ang puso ko...









Creative Commons License

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi material boy!

thanks for watching! glad you enjoyed the show! hope you do watch us again if there's a repeat :)

as for being a Madonna die-hard, would it make you feel bad to know i had the most expensive tickets ($750 per seat -- pareho ng kay Jean-Paul Gaultier) to her re-invention tour in paris? :) we should hook up. i have quite a collection of her hardest-to-find remix albums, from shoo-bee-doo to ray of light.

thanks again and im glad you liked ZsaZsa!

ricci

Me said...

Wow, thanks Ricci!

I'm surprised you read my post. Yes, I did love Zsazsa and I look forward to see it again. I heard it's going to be turned into a film also, hope the cast remain the same.

Indeed, hope we could hang out...

Thanks again for dropping by!