Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Mega Valentine



After being her fan for more than 20 years, last Sunday had been a historic moment for me when I finally had the chance to witness my favorite Sharon Cuneta in concert for My Mega Valentine.

Many reasons had prevented and/or discouraged me in the past to catch her live but after being cajoled by a fellow Sharonian (who questioned my 'Mega idolatry'), I was glad I finally went to see her perform on stage.

The concert was such a fun evening mainly due to Shawie's funny spiels and wacky side comments between (and even during!) her song numbers. Her self-deprecating jokes really enlivened the crowd who obviously appreciated her honesty in talking about her weight. In fairness, Sharon has lost much of the weight she gained over the last few years but she still has much to go. Fortunately, her outfits for the concert were not as disastrous as her previous fashion faux pas. She clearly has gained back some curves and she no longer looked matronly in her size.

What blew me away that night is the quality of her singing voice that I initially feared has already detiriorated over the years. Apparently, nothing beats listening to her live! She did great singing some of the best loved and most romantic love songs. She did Barbra, Mannilow, Carpenters, Alcasid and of course some of her more popular classics. Kudos to her musical director Louie Ocampo who did such wonderful arrangements for her medleys.

A rather amusing number was when Sharon sang contemporary hits like Kitchie Nadal's Huwag na Huwag Mong Sasabihin (with matching fake guitar-playing!). She also sang wonderful duets with her guests Christian Bautista (great voice!), Christopher De Leon (not so much) and Kuh Ledesma (competent, as expected). Special mention of celebrities in the audience was met with excited applause from the crowd particulary for boxing champ Manny Pacquiao.

Obviously, I had a great time in My Mega Valentine and you should count me in for Sharon's next concert!


Incidentally, I had my own mega valentine today. My Sunshine surprised me with a sweet token of a single rose with a Valentine card that really made my day. I always thought that Valentine's day is the cheesiest day of the year and I wasn't too keen on getting on with the whole hoopla. But as it turned out, I'm cheesier than I thought I should be! Hah!

HAPPY VALENTINE'S to everyone!!!


See the roses raining on the love parade...







Creative Commons License

2 comments:

San Francisco Guy said...

Baduy evah!!!

Me said...

Yes, Jun. PROUDLY!!! :D