Friday, May 20, 2005

On My Own . . . soon?

Last night, I played my DVD copy of the 10th Anniversary concert of Les Miserables and found myself teary eyed again from the moving renditions of some of the most memorable songs from the musicale. It's been more than a decade since I fell in love with Les Miz and couldn't help myself singing along to the beautiful songs. Not surprisingly, I assume this kinship with the character of Eponine, brilliantly sung by Lea Salonga.

This time though, a few lines that hit too close to home were . . .

I did not live until today
How can I live when we are parted?
Tomorrow you'll be worlds away
And yet with you my world has started



It pretty much reflects my present anxieties about the possibility that my partner would take an overseas job very soon.

More than my worries on what life is waiting for him abroad, I am concerned on how I will be able to spend my life while he's away (a little too Mariah Carey/Celine Dion song-ish, I know!). Two years is really long and though I know I can wait, who knows how much things can change between now and then?

We've been together for over a year and I feel we've built a strong enough foundation to feel secure that the possible separation would not be much of a hindrance. But I am still afraid . . .

On the other hand, at least I would have another excuse to sing . . .

On my own, pretending he's beside me . . .



1 comment:

San Francisco Guy said...

Look at it this way: it is chance for both of you to do some growing up. How does that one go...what doesn't kill you, wont hurt you? Or something to that effect.

Or you can sing...Happy days are here again! Ching!

Hey...I feel for you. Good luck to Migs!