Saturday, June 17, 2006

For Better, For Good

Filed under Papa | Mama


As what most may realize by now, Father's Day is coming (actually, it's this Sunday June 18) as seen on numerous TV plugs, commercials and billboards all over paying tribute to fathers all over the world.

With these, I can't help but think back on previous Father's Days when I always had a difficulty coming up with a nice and appropriate gift for my father. It was really quite silly since any gift I gave him elicited pretty much the same reaction which was of an almost-expressionless thank you. Still, I remember always feeling good to visit Papa on this special day because I knew that despite his seeming lack of enthusiasm, he was happy to see me.

Sadly this year, it will be the first time I'll observe the occassion without my father. And much like what I have done lately on special occassions (Christmas, his birthday, my birthday & Mother's Day), I will just pay my respects to my much-missed father by going to the cemetery and offering flowers and prayers.

I also wish to offer a few lines taken from a song called For Good from the Broadway musical Wicked that I've been listening to lately. These lines somehow capture how I feel inside when I think about not only of Papa but Mama as well...




It well maybe
That we will never meet again in this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart...

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you,
I've been changed for good...





Broadway
Wicked

Creative Commons License

5 comments:

Mama Mouse said...

Your father sees and hears you! Just because our loved ones pass on to another reality doesn't mean that they have passed beyond caring for us or for hearing and seeing us. Speak to him ... tell him what you feel. He will hear. But even if you don't speak he will be able to see into your heart. He knew before he passed on who you are and he loved you and appreciated you.

The best gift my husband ever got was a card, written in my son's own hand, telling his father what being raised by him had meant to him. How much he learned from and loved his father. Your father will hear it though you won't be able to hear or see his reaction. But you WILL be able to feel it! Believe me~!

Me said...

Much thanks, Mama Mouse!

Your words really uplift my spirit on this bitterweet day.

Happy Father's Day to Papa Mouse!

*eLLe* said...

pls vote for my blog. the link site is in my blog. tnx :D

Unknown said...

I hope your memories helped you to have a peaceful Father's Day!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm truly sorry for your loss. I haven't lost a parent, but I've lost my grandfather to lung cancer, so I know the emotions you're feeling.