Saturday, July 23, 2005

MEGA-lomaniac



It is a known fact among my closest friends that apart from being a MADONNA fan (looking at this site, isn't it obvious?!), I am also a bonafide Sharonian. Ever since I heard her song Santo NiƱo back in 1980, I've been hooked on Sharon Cuneta! Yes, the one and only Megastar!

Though my fascination with Ate Shawie could hardly equal my Madonna obsession , the fact that I've practically seen all of her movies from her first, Dear Heart to her most recent Crying Ladies; have a considerable number of her albums; and have spent a many Sunday evenings watching her in her now defunct musical variety show, The Sharon Cuneta Show to her musical talk show Sharon, is a strong enough proof that I'm a fan.

Through the years, I also had the most fortunate chance to meet her in person on numerous occassions. As of last count, I've seen her in person 6 times and in each of those times, I've acted like a typical megastarstuck fanatic and asked for her autograph! And the nice lady that she is, she always obliged with a smile. Where are those autographs now? Well, I've given them to my mom, my sisters and our family yaya. Apparently, this fa-SHA-nation runs in the family!!!

Damn those who think I'm baduy for harboring this MEGA admiration! At least, I know how to choose my idol! Both Sharon and Madonna have been on the top of their game for more than 2 decades now and are still going strong.


Sharon Sings Alcasid Anyways, I purchased Sharon's latest album Sharon Sings Alcasid and instantly fell in love with it! Simply put, no other local singer can sing songs with that much heartfelt emotion like Sharon does. Ogie should feel honored and proud that she was able to sing his classics and managed to effortlessly make it her own.

It's a good thing that she's reverting back to utilizing that Sharon sound that first made her a Megastar anyway. Let the other divas warble their abused pipes with glass-shattering vocal acrobatics, I'll take Shawie's soothing voice anytime.

My favorite cuts from the album so far are Sa Kanya and Hanggang Ngayon. You can bet these will be the songs I'll try my luck on come my next videoke session!

But for the meantime, I'll just go back to listening to the album and get in touch with my inner jologs . . . with PRIDE!




3 comments:

Christopher Trottier said...

Is she only a star in the Phillipines?

Me said...

Yes & No.

Yes, she's only very popular in the Philippines and to all Filipinos around the world.

No, she's not a star. She's our MEGASTAR! He-he!

San Francisco Guy said...

i finally got to listen to the entire cd! talk about 48 years! by the time "hanggang ngayon" ended, i was crying my eyes out. the last time i heard it (2 years ago) was when my first ex sang it at a karaoke bar here in sf. maybe i have finally let him go...